Friday, December 2, 2016

ED 645 - Week 6

Formative and summative assessments are very important in the classroom. Summative assessments allow teachers to see what a student has learned over a period of time; over a unit, a semester, or a year to give a few examples. Formative assessments are equated to checkpoints and allow a teacher to see a multitude of things about a students learning. A teacher can see where a student is in the learning process and make adjustments to lessons in order to accommodate student needs.
What I like about formative assessments is their diversity. They are so diverse that students do not even realize they are being assessed. I also like that formative assessment can be student driven. I use learning logs everyday in my classroom. Students have a daily drill page that includes a drill space and a learning log space. As part of the drill, students reflect on their learning in the learning log. Time permitting, I will have students return to their learning log at the end of a lesson and reassess their understanding. This is a really important process because students are in control of their learning and can see their growth on their own terms.
Through my numerous observations, I have been commended on my ability to weave formative assessment seamlessly into my lessons. Also, that I truly understand my students needs and make quick adjustments as necessary. This has been really encouraging feedback to recieve as a first time teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amanda,
    The point you make about formative assessments being so versatile is an important one. With the wide range of ways to create a formative assessment, they are basically limited only by imagination. As you mention they are wonderful insights into whether or not a quick course correction is needed. It is wonderful to read that you are delving right in and reaching for data from frequent formative assessments to inform your teaching practice.

    ReplyDelete