Thanksgiving break... or the days leading up to it! I now understand the importance of break! The students were on the crazy side this week with the anticipation of a few days off. I've personally enjoyed this break, taking time to focus on family and recharge myself. It's my understanding that the kids can be a bit off as we approach Christmas and having some time to recoup will be important in the upcoming weeks.
One activity we did in classes this week was coloring the families of the periodic table. The students seemed to really enjoy coloring. What was surprising was the amount of time it took students to color their table. It's amazing to me how timing can be so different from what is originally planned in my lesson plan. I feel like I'm always getting caught up in timing, either planning too much or too little time. I still feel like my timing is a work in progress and I think it would be more beneficial for me to reflect more on this aspect of my lesson plans. I know this is something that develops through practice, I just wish it would happen sooner!
Finally, it's still strange to me to see my students outside of school. This doesn't happen often as I live in another state from my students. This weekend I spent time in Lewes with my family. We decided to go the boardwalk for an outing. While there, I ran into one of my students! I expect to run into students when I am in my school zone but 3 hours away is a little different! I'm sure this is something to get used to as well.
Amanda, yes, timing is everything! It does come with experience but also with getting to know your students. As we get to know them then they go ahead and change! It is a constant struggle! Have you tried video taping a couple of classes in a row? Sometimes, the further along in the day you go, you will see how you use your time the same or differently. As you use timers throughout your lesson that might also help with pacing. There is no magic potion and it truly does differ from class to class, and year to year. Keep asking and if you get a chance, observe other teachers!
ReplyDeleteMeeting your students outside of school is always fun and slightly awkward too! Seeing them in places you never expected is something you may never get used too! We have seen our students in Disney World, the Great Smokey Mountains, on vacations, serving us as restaurants in different towns or states, selling us products, and even becoming good friends with our husband! It doesn't matter if it is your 1st year teaching or 30th - seeing students outside the classroom is always an adventure! It is good for them to see you as having a personal life and being a good role model.
Glad you got to recharge your batteries for the December - help them to remember - month! It is a long 4 weeks!