Finally, I experienced my first unplanned absence. Waking up sick is a horrible feeling but knowing I had to call out made things worse. I feel that it is very important to be transparent with my students as much as possible. I know that students adapt better when their schedules are uninterrupted. This is simply not the case when you get sick unexpectedly.
My students were generally behaved although several assignments were turned in with inappropriate content. Upon my return, we discussed what I had seen and discussed my expectations when I am there and when I am not. I think this actually worked out well because it afforded me the opportunity to review my classroom expectations.
This upcoming week will include my first scheduled absence. This was a little different because I was able to discuss this with my students ahead of time. We talked about what they would be doing in hopes that they will be more willing to complete the aasignments. I've also set up having my STAT teacher check in during the more difficult class that day. A familiar face will be good for my students and let them know that I made careful plans for a successful day.
With a call out, we have a stock of emergency sub plans that we created in the beginning of the school year. However, with the day next week, I am faced with creating a lesson that engages my students but is easily understandable by anyone that subs in my classroom. I am finding this more difficult, not wanting to simply leave a few reading assignments for them to complete. For my standard class, they will be completing a school mandated reading and a packet on bonding. The packet will allow them to interact directly with the curriculum. I am going to allow them to work collaboratively hoping this will be an incentive for them to complete the assignment. For my honors students, they will be working on constructing a scientific argument. I am providing them a choice on the topic, leaving three different readings to choose from. They will also be working on the bonding packet. I am hoping that with prior knowledge of my absence and more engaging assignments, my students will have a successful day without me.
Saturday, December 10, 2016
ED 645 - Week 7
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The point you mention about discussing your expectations with your students is a good one that sometimes newer teachers miss; when we are out they should exercise the same attention to procedure as when we are there. At the same time there is a learning process there for students and the human tendency to test the boundaries. It was great how you used your absence as a teachable moment for them.
ReplyDelete