I honestly feel like I go above and beyond for my students. Chemistry is a subject that can be very dry and difficult for students. Often times, there is not a lot of varied interaction with the curriculum. The topics are delivered as notes combined with worksheets of book work. Instead, I attempt to provide my students with varied ways of interaction. I work in group work, matching, sorting, labs, demonstrations, videos, and stations so that my students have multiple opportunities to learn the material and different learning types are reached.
It is really frustrating when we have been chugging along on a topic, students have multiple opportunities for practice and feedback, and they push back when an assessment is given. Or they choose to waste time during instruction and then expect additional help when taking an assessment. I am trying to get my students to advocate for themselves and to be in charge of their learning. Instilling in them that it is their personal responsibility to come for extra help and to obtain missing assignments and complete the work.
This all stems from our balancing equations unit. We have been working on this unit for about 2 weeks, that's approximately 5 class periods for each class. We have completed notes, POGIL activities, matching, graphic organizers, and plenty of practice. I provided my students with a packet of problems, worked through several with them, and allowed them to work in groups to complete packets. I stressed to them that the quiz questions will be taken directly from the packet and I allow them to use the packet on the quiz. I provided opportunities to check their work with an answer key, and yet, students still chose to not put in the work or effort. Before the assessment, I provided them with an opportunity to ask questions and review balancing equations. Instead, they chose to not participate and then panic when the quiz is given. I am just frustrated with the lack of engagement and their lack of ability to take responsibility for their learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment