As an educator, I think cynicism comes with the territory. This is an unfortunate side effect from exhaustion, lack of support, long hours, and student behavior. I have been fortunate and not encountered a significant amount of cynicism at my school. There are a few students names that come up at lynch. Often, these students get brought up when someone has had a difficult encounter. My science peers do not openly discuss children which has been nice.
I think it is important to take what others say with a grain of salt, even about students. Their opinions are often marred with specific experiences. If I have learned one thing, student A can be a different student in every one of their classes. I try to take others opinions as just that and assume the best in the student until I see or experience otherwise.
If my break room ever got to the point that cynicism ran wild, I would seriously have to reconsider where I take lunch and breaks. I think it is very important to stay away from cynicism to ensure that your views are not shifted.
To avoid becoming a cynic, it is important to take time and recharge. I try to leave work at work so that I am able to get a break everyday. It is also important to have people that will listen to you and talk to you. If not for my husband listening to me, some situations I've encountered would weigh heavy on my heart. With him, I can discuss these situations and move on from them.
Monday, May 8, 2017
Cynicism- ED 710
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment