Saturday, March 11, 2017

Student Abilities - ED 710

I truly believe that all students have the ability to learn but that students should not be measured against each other. Also, that measuring student learning against a standard is not always the best option. Many students learn differently and in my classroom I attempt to point our small victories as much as bigger ones. By providing an appropriate environment for student learning, I think all learners can make advancements in knowledge. This sometimes means going beyond the written accommodations to ensure student success. One student I have is extremely bright but has difficulty getting it in writing. When available, I will scribe for him so that he has grades that are consistent with his true abilities and are not limited by his disabilities. Providing varied opportunities for students to demonstrate their knowledge is key in creating an environment where all students have equal opportunities to learn.

By providing the right environment for student learning, it is safe to say that showing learning would need to be done in a variety of ways. While accommodating and shifting things to work for one student, that student should be able to display their knowledge in a way that fits in their environment. While one student is able to provide written evidence another student might need to provide verbal evidence. Both types show a student learning while varying in delivery to accommodating the individual needs of the learner.

An initiative my school is doing for third quarter is to highlight students that are late bloomers and not focus on honor roll students. They have asked us to nominate students that perhaps had a rocky start but have really pulled it together and have made important changes. I think this is a fantastic idea because the students that qualify for this initiative would generally not be recognized in school. It provides these lower achieving students with an initiative to continue on a positive path and make leaps in their learning.

One of the students I have chosen was one that had a very difficult start to the year. Bordering between failing and barley passing, this student has been quite un-engaged in learning. Recently, she has really made a flip and has made some very mature decisions. She is recognizing her downfalls and is adjusting herself to make changes. She will leave her phone charging by my desk and has selected a seat away from friends so that she can perform better. I have gotten in the habit of pointing out these mature decisions and rewarding her with high fives and positive home contacts. While this student may not be top of her class, she has clearly made huge leaps in achievement and her true abilities are shining through.


1 comment:

  1. Amanda, Wow - it is clear you really care about your students. Whether you will ever know it or not, you are having a positive impact on their lives!

    ReplyDelete