Saturday, October 22, 2016

Teaching Reflection Week 8

On Friday, I found out that a student is returning to my school and class. He withdrew from school at the end of September and never enrolled in a new school. Now I find myself with the difficult task of integrating him into a class that is preparing for a test that he clearly will not be prepared for. Additionally, one week prior to the close of the marking period leaves limited time and ability to offer him a grade for the quarter. As a senior, and a struggling senior, I just am not sure what to do.

I spoke with my department chair regarding both his integration and grade for the first quarter. When the student withdrew, he had a B. My DC suggests that he should be given a B, but I'm struggling with giving the student a B based on two grades when there have been between ten and fifteen graded assignments. I am also struggling because we are using mastery grading system. Clearly he has not mastered the content. Since he was never enrolled in a school when he withdrew, I do not have a more current starting point grade to work with.

The next piece of my struggle deals with reintegrating him into the classroom. It is a small class but contains a group of tough students. In fact, he tended to be the one that was capable of derailing the entire class at any given moment. While I do not like seeing students not in school, it was a relief to not have to run circles around the student every class. Having him come back on a day that is review followed by a test, I am trying to plan activities for him that educate him on what he missed bit also engage him so that the remaining class members can be successful on their assessment.

One measure I have set up is a buddy room. This is a place I can send the student if he is unable to not cause a distraction. My department chair suggested that he start off his return in the back of the classroom, seated independently, and through showing positive behavior, he earns his way back to the general public. While this seems like a good plan, I do not necessarily see it working out to the classes benefit. The student generally has the attitude that he can do as he wishes regardless of consequences.

Although I think this transition will be difficult, I am optimistic that it can work out. Starting him off with my expectations and ensuring I have follow through will hopefully make the student and the class more successful in the end.

1 comment:

  1. Yes that is a tough situation for you, the student, and his peers. We like that you have a buddy room, plan to go over your expectations, follow through on consequences, and most importantly, are thinking about how to have him master the curriculum. Reaching out to the student and showing that you care and want him to be successful, in your class, could go a long way in forming a relationship with the student. Ask him if there is a trusted friend in this class or one of your other classes that he could study with afterschool. Maybe offering some one-on-one time could get the student to come back to class with a positive attitude. The anxiety of coming back to school, answering questions about where he has been, etc will weigh heavily and you showing support could be very helpful for the student and help keep the behaviors out of your classroom.

    ReplyDelete