|
Text
or Citation
|
Rationale
for Using
|
Text
Frames
|
Strategy
|
|
|
This article covered complex topics without
confusing vocabulary. This text is relatable to most people because it is
about swimming pools. It also covers a variety of topics taught in a
chemistry classroom; acids and bases, pH, balancing equations, and
equilibrium.
|
Problem/solution
Concept/definition
(Buehl,
2014)
|
Sketch
to Stretch
(McLaughlin,
2015)
|
Choosing an article that students can relate to goes a
long way in creating a successful assignment. My partner and I chose this
article because it is very relatable. Most students have had an experience with
a pool and therefore can relate to the topic. It is also important to help
students make real life connections. Students can see how chemistry is related
to pools and therefore the topics are better understood. Some questions I get a
lot in my classroom is “how does this relate to me?” or “why do I need to learn
this? I will not ever use this again.” This article shows how topics, like
acids and bases, pH, and balancing equations, can be used in real life
applications.
As my partner and I discussed, one of the most difficult
aspects of this text is that students would need some background knowledge on
the topics covered in the article. The article does not explain the basics of
the topics covered but rather explains the concepts specific to swimming pools.
Without background knowledge, students would easily be lost and lose interest
quickly. This article would work best during an acid and base lesson. Although
pH, equilibrium, and balancing equations is also discussed, they are discussed
more briefly and less in-depth than acids and bases. Dani and I also discussed
how this article could easily tie into labs.
The strategy I chose was sketch to stretch. Sketch to
stretch is a strategy that requires students to sketch a personal relationship or
understanding they had after reading the text (McLaughlin, 2015). After
students complete the reading, they are asked to sketch how they connected to
the article, and then they share their sketch with members of their small group
(McLaughlin, 2015). Group members are given an opportunity to comment on the
meaning of the sketch, followed by the illustrator discussing the meaning
behind the sketch (McLaughlin, 2015). As a class, students would be guided
through a reflection process which would allow them to discuss the importance
of the activity and whether or not it helped their comprehension (McLaughlin,
2015). I would also ask my students whether or not making real world
connections was helpful.
After reading the article, I drew a picture of a swimmer
that had just been in the pool with red eyes. This is something I have
encountered in my times swimming in pools in the past. After reading the
article, I know that this irritation comes from a lower pH which in turn raises
the level of HOCl. I chose this strategy for several reasons. Firstly, my
students enjoy drawing. This strategy allows them to develop a relationship
between something they enjoy and chemistry. I also like the aspect of working
in small groups. Students like working together and sharing their ideas. They
also can learn better and develop deeper understanding when working with their
peers. Finally, I like that this strategy encourages real life connections. As
this is often an idea that students do not grasp, sketch to stretch allows
students to develop and understand real life connections where they cannot
always readily see them.
References
Buehl, D. (2014). Classroom
strategies for interactive learning (4th ed.). Newark, DE:
International Reading Association.
McLaughlin, M. (2015). Content Area
Reading: Teaching and Learning for College and Career Readiness.
Boston: Pearson.
Amanda, you make a great point about students often not realizing how a topic relates to their own life. The students I work with after school are currently taking the PSSAs (PA standardized tests) and I have overheard countless conversations about how they don't understand why they need to learn this and they don't think they'll ever use this information again. It is so important for teachers to address this in class, and I think that your article and activity do a great job of that. This article and the activity that you used begin to show students how chemistry can be used outside of the classroom. The activity is especially helpful since it incorporates something that your students enjoy: drawing. I think that a great follow-up lesson would be for your students to think about, and possibly research, other ways that chemistry relates to their own lives. By teaching them to think of these reasons for themselves, it could prepare them to be more engaged and motivated in classes where the teacher doesn't specifically provide the "why" of the concepts.
ReplyDeleteThe article you used provides a solid level of relevance to the material being covered. The strategy itself seems like an fun way to incorporate art into a classroom. This could give students who struggle with more traditional communication methods a way to express how they feel. In the past I have used an activity like this, but allowed students to use the internet to find images that suit what they want to express. I had issues with people being self conscious about their drawing ability. I think this is a great way to get students thinking about a topic.
ReplyDelete