Grading Rubric:
For my next teaching blog entry, I was asked to complete a grading rubric for an assignment that was created in a previous class. This task was especially daunting as this was my first ever attempted rubric. I attempted to narrow down my criteria and offer an assessment on skills that are critical for a students future success outside of school. Although it is important to have a clear understanding of the material, I believe it to be more important to prepare our students for life outside of the classroom.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/11gRjFUyfOpjZ8feaqGxf4K4FHzhEEQMJIZG5AOgYebI/edit?usp=sharing
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteI really like how thorough your rubric is. The only suggestion/question I have is why did you choose to have meet expectations as 3-4 and below expectations at 1-2 instead of doing the whole scale 0-4? I just think that having those differences might cause problems when returning grades to students. If done this way though another idea I had was to make a place at the bottom for comments to justify why the student received the grade they did. The only other question I have is, is this rubric for each student in the group or for the group as a whole?
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteThis is a great rubric. I think is is critical to have the explanations of each category in the box which you will circle. This tackles any ambiguity that could arise from grading. To that same end, I am a bit confused about some of the wording between the criteria in each row. For example, I think there could be some push back about the difference between doing something "excellently" and "well". Maybe if those were defined somewhere else, it would help.
I forgot one thing: a teacher at my school recommended that I do not give 0 for an assignment unless the student omits a grading criteria altogether. In this teachers opinion, giving a 1 acknowledges that they at least did the assignment, even it is the bare minimum.
Delete